STORIES and PHOTOGRAPHS by KC JONES.



All contents copyright 2014 and before by KC Jones. All rights reserved. No duplication in any form allowed without written permission.





In silencing the noises and clearing the mind, the heart embraces the beauty of nature and all her inhabitants. The miracle of changing seasons, the mating rituals, the beginning and ending life cycle, the vocal messages echoing through the trees, the smells carried on the wind, and from the first peek of the sun stretching across the sky to its final wink as it disappears are all proof that life truly is a spiritual journey. I invite you to share in my photo adventures and I hope they serve as reminders of the mystery and magic all around us.



Sunday, April 10, 2011

Small in Stature

SMALL BIRD ALERT:
If you're not interested in the common and smaller species...click out now!

Each morning as the pale light begins to paint across the dark heavens
and one by one the twinkling stars bid their farewell,
chirps and pecks echo abundantly, heralding the new day...
like orchestra instruments tuning up in preparation for a universal concert.
Perhaps it's the challenge of capturing the smaller birds in print,
but I get just as excited about seeing a Mockingbird or Cardinal
as I do a Great Egret or Pelican.
I'm not able to get good closeups, but I still enjoy trying.
(And to think I used to make fun of Ms. Hathaway on the Beverly Hillbillies!)
FEMALE DOWNY WOODPECKER
I don't get to see the Downy very often, and with their coloring they kind of
blend in.  Once the trees are fully bloomed it's almost IMPOSSIBLE
to find them...even though you can definitely hear them!
MALE DOWNY WOODPECKER
(Differentiated by the red band on the back of his head.
RED BELLIED WOODPECKER
I'm not sure why they call this Red Bellied since there's zero red on its belly.
I guess they can't call it "Red Headed" because the next photo is named that.
RED HEADED WOODPECKER
Can you spot it?
This is the only one I've ever been able to photograph. 
They're much smaller than the others and aren't common in our area. 
As you can see, its head is all red,
where the Red Bellied just has a partial red patch from the front to the neck.
FEMALE CARDINAL
Pretty, but kind of plain, unlike it's counterpart.
MALE CARDINAL
Would someone please explain to me why the male birds of many species
get to be dressed in all the bright and colorful outerwear?!?!?
CEDAR WAXWINGS
The ever flitting bush and tree berry stripping machine!
KINGFISHER
Ah, my nemesis! This little guy taunts me wherever I go!
I still can't believe I got this picture because he likes to fly around me
until I notice him and then as soon as I ready my camera...off he darts...
only to return moments later. This ritual has become a running joke at our house!
EASTERN BLUEBIRD
Like the Red Headed Woodpecker, this is the only Eastern Bluebird I've ever
been able to capture on film; they're fast little things!
EASTERN MEADOWLARK
I love the yellow belly!
EASTERN MEADOWLARK
This was the first and only time I've seen one on the ground;  typically they perch
on the highest tree branches but this female stayed grounded for a while that day. 
EASTERN PHOEBE
This is another bird I rarely see and try as I did, he wouldn't reposition himself
so I could get a shot of his belly...which is a light green color.
KILLDEER
Talk about fast and skiddish! 
These little birds walk as quickly as I do!
I had never seen one in water;
typically you'll find them along the highway or in fields looking for bugs. 
They're easy to spot by the black face bands and their sound.
GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER
This is the only one I've been able to photo, too.
See how big its head is in proportion to its body; looks like it would tilt over.
RED WINGED BLACKBIRD
I have a lot of photos of these birds but not in focus!
MOCKINGBIRD
I caught him eating a mid-morning snack.
ROBIN
I know you can't see it very well, but I liked the angle, the colors, and the light.
I enjoyed watching him hopping around looking for bugs.
BABY BLUEJAY
His nest was close by and he was practicing his flying that morning.
BLUEJAY
I was closely checking all the trees when I spotted her.
STARLING
I love how colorful they are, especially when the sun shines on them.
BLACK NECKED STILT
I also have something in common with this bird...long, skinny legs!
DOVE
I saved my favorite for last.  That's right...much to my family's dismay who fails to
appreciate the beauty and sun-up to sun-down cooing of the doves.

 May the sounds of nature strum your heart strings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment