STORIES and PHOTOGRAPHS by KC JONES.



All contents copyright 2014 and before by KC Jones. All rights reserved. No duplication in any form allowed without written permission.





In silencing the noises and clearing the mind, the heart embraces the beauty of nature and all her inhabitants. The miracle of changing seasons, the mating rituals, the beginning and ending life cycle, the vocal messages echoing through the trees, the smells carried on the wind, and from the first peek of the sun stretching across the sky to its final wink as it disappears are all proof that life truly is a spiritual journey. I invite you to share in my photo adventures and I hope they serve as reminders of the mystery and magic all around us.



Friday, February 3, 2012

A Walk in the Park

January 29th, the last Sunday in January, was a clear skies, still waters 
and warm termperatures day...perfect for a loooong walk in the park.
The grounds were still soaking in the rain from the downpour a few days earlier.
I've never seen White Rock so wet!
I wasn't able to use my favorite "watching" spot but I'm not complaining
because we definitely needed the rain.
The spillway was still rushing to the point that even a Great Blue Heron
had so much difficulty balancing herself
that she finally decided the struggle wasn't worth it
so she flew to the rocky area at the bottom of the spillway
to do her fishing.
Even the typically grouchy White Chinese Goose seemed in a good mood.
She'd ready herself...
nibble around for something to eat...
stare at me while she ate it...
then go for another bite...never ONCE honking at me!
Squirrels were everywhere...
to my left...
and to my right!
They seemed to enjoy running through, around and over these stumps.
They'd play for a while and then stop for a snack.
This little guy was so funny. Every time he stopped to eat something,
he would grab it, run over to this same stump and eat while seeming to
be watching his shadow.  I watched him do this over and over and over again!
Red-winged Blackbirds were out
chirping loudly!
I'm not sure what kind of bird this is, and I only saw the one,
but she seemed to enjoy my company and as I would continue walking,
she'd fly to a tree closer to me; this went on until I returned to the truck!
I saw Blue Jays,
Red Bellied Woodpeckers,
a female Downy Woodpecker.  Here she's leaning back in preparation of
pecking away for something juicy to eat!
Mockingbirds were abundant and this one
was either excited about the beautiful weather
or doing some sort of mating ritual, but whatever it was it was fun to watch!
I saw a Cardinal couple,
a beautiful American Kestrel,
Red Shouldered Hawk, a
Red Tailed Hawk, and
a Monk Parakeet!
There were flying ducks
and others stealing a private moment.
This Double-Crested Cormorant chose a dry limb to take a nap
while this Greater Scaup chose to take a floating snooze.
Usually there's a LOT of people out here feeding the ducks and birds, but not last
Sunday, so it was slim pickins'.  The minute this gull landed and found a bite
it was "game-on!"
Thankfully she swallowed quickly and was on her way!
And you know me...I can't forget my favorite...
so if you're sick of seeing them...click out NOW!

The white pelicans were plentiful and entertaining. I spent hours watching them
flying in
and landing;
preparing for lift off...
going air-borne...
and taking off again.
There was lots of preening and
feather cleaning;
feather drying and
feather cooling!
Some swam...
some rested...
and this one seemed to be
playing a game of peek-a-boo with me!
Some preferred
the company
of friends,
while others
perferred solitude.
All in all
it was a very enjoyable and relaxing winter day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment